Friday, April 18, 2014

Lower Suwannee National Wildlife Refuge - 4/15/2014

Continuing to explore the Lower Suwannee National Wildlife Refuge that comprises 53,000 acres, we checked out the Triangle Loop Road and the River Trail.

Triangle Loop Road:  One of my very favorite features of this refuge was a large pond literally filled with water lilies. It was breathtaking! The last time I saw lilies this beautiful was at Longwood Gardens in Kennett Square, PA.





As we continued on the internal park road, we encountered a puddle so large that we decided to turnaround (as we did not relish the thought of getting stuck in our Mini Cooper where there is no cell coverage). The flooding of the Suwannee has closed many of the internal roads.


Below is a beautiful Scarlett Tanager that caught my eye on the drive out.


River Trail: This was a beautiful hiking trail that included a boardwalk over the swampy sections of the area.

Sadie and I on the boardwalk ... wearing my new Cedar Key hoodie!


Sadie loves looking for critters along the trail.



View of the Suwannee from the observation deck at the end of the boardwalk. There were lilies growing here as well.


Cypress and other hardwoods:





Bat house near the headquarters of the refuge. That bathouse can house 100,000 bats! Hope to catch a photo of them swooping out at dusk to feed on insects.


I DO NOT like these fire ants. Captured a photo of some on a large anthill.  Then I ran away before they could start crawling up my legs!!


Link to website:  www.fws.gov/lowersuwannee/

No comments:

Post a Comment