Saturday, August 12, 2017

Micro Tour of Salem, 8/06/2017

Finding a parking space in Salem was a challenge. I wanted to visit the Salem Witch Museum (I guess it's morbid curiosity). Because we had our doggie, Sadie, with us., John opted to wait for me while I did some exploring. 

A visit to the Salem Witch Museum (www.salemwitchmuseum.com) involves two presentations. The first is as 30-minute dramatization of the witch trials held in 1692 here. The second is a 15-minute museum tour that covers how societies have identified witches nad their reaction to them throughout history.


I opted not to do this (too much time for me as their was a 20 minute wait, too). The cost is $12/adult and $10.50/senior. I did, however, walk around the lobby area and and gift shop. Seeing the list of names of those accused and those executed (20) is a haunting reminder of the puritan way of thinking at the time.




The movie, The Crucible, is a relatively accurate portrayal of what happened in Salem in the 1690s (although writer, Arthur Miller, did change some of the names of the accused). This display referenced the "witch hunts" of McCarthyism and the similarities of the attitudes of the accusers.


Near the Salem Witch's Museum is a bronze statue of Roger Conant (1592-1679) first settler of Salem.


Stickwork is an art exhibit, What the Birds Know, by Robert Dougherty in 2015. It was constructed using thousands of tree saplings and with the help of 50 volunteers. It is located next to the historic Crowninshield-Bentley House (1727). 



The Witch Trials Memorial is located in this small square. The names of all of those executed for being a witch are memorialized with their name carved on the projecting stones. It was dedicated in 1992. 




One of the 20 executed was pressed to death, meaning that heavy rocks were placed on her chest until the weight killed her. Horrifying.


Next to the Memorial is an historic cemetery. Information regarding the location of the graves of significant community members can be found near the entrance. 



As I returned to the car, I passed many historic homes that are now private residencesPlaques provide a brief history of each.




Heading back to Salisbury, MA, from Salem we stopped at The Clam Box for dinner. We had eaten here 7 years ago when we went to Maine. Their food is fantastic and we wanted to get there before it was too crowded. I ordered the native clams and John had the shrimp plate. 


Unfortunately, I got food poisoning and was violently ill later that night. I will not bore you with the ugly details! Nonetheless, it was a good day, although it took me a couple of days to feel like myself again.

No comments:

Post a Comment