Saturday, November 1, 2014

First Creek Trail, Red Rock Canyon - 11/01/14

Today we hiked the First Creek Trail in the beautiful Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area. The trailhead is on Rte 159 a few miles prior to the left turn towards the Visitor Center and Scenic Loop Drive.

We did our normal routine: John packed sandwiches for lunch and snacks for the trail; I threw together dinner in the crockpot; and we filled our backpacks with water and other stuff we take with us when we hike. Sadie always gets excited when she sees these activities going on, hoping that she will be able to go with us! And at Red Rock Canyon, dogs are permitted on trails. So the three of us started off on our adventure.

First Creek Trail is about 1.5 miles each way with a waterfall deep in the canyon here. I had expected to find a trail guide at the trailhead (as the web site indicated that there is a supply there), but we did not see any. Next time, I will go to the Visitor Center to get one as there are many trails in the area.


The first part of the trail is across the desert which is easy-going. There is a wide array of plants along the trail and, of course, beautiful views of the Red Rock area.



Sadie had a fabulous time running from one side of the trail to the other exploring glorious new smells, sights, and sound. Can you see her in this photo?


Lichen always fascinates me since I learned that colonies can be 10,000-20,000 years old!



Check out this crazy-looking rock.


Trees lined the creek bed once we entered the more rocky area of the trail.


Suddenly we heard a splash and found that Sadie had discovered a lovely pond...such a contrast to the desert terrain..


The hiking gets more strenuous as there are many trails that veer off in all directions into the rocky (and beautiful) parts of this trail. Here's my happy hiking hubby.


Let the rock scrambling begin!



This where things got really interesting...




John and Sadie were scouting out the trail at this point...


Of course, I followed and came to two large rocks with a tree between them. It was about a 10' drop to the ground from that point. I thought I had the situation under control, and started moving down the steep rock face while holding onto the tree. I am not sure exactly what happened, but I fell, bounced off a large rock, and ended up on my back on the ground. Ouch!

Fortunately, I was only bruised as I hit the rock on my side (no broken bones, thankfully!) and no head injury (yay!)  Sadie came running back to me, and, of course, John did as well. I was very happy that he found my glasses that had come off during the fall and our camera was safe as well (whew!)

I will definitely be more careful in the future. At this point we headed back and did not continue to the waterfall.

Also, the sky was overcast and it had started to rain and then hail (what the heck?) That subsided after we reached the desert part of the trail.

This was a very interesting hike, despite, my fall. These rock formations are fun to see close up...so many crevices, caves, etc. Additionally, we encountered numerous other hikers and their dogs. What a great day!

Admission to Red Rock Canyon is $7/vehicle. However, there is no charge to access the First Creek Trail as it is on Rte 159 prior to reaching the Scenic Drive.  We always do the scenic drive first in these parks and then return for hiking adventures. It's great that our government has taken the steps to ensure that these amazing areas are protected for our enjoyment.

Website: www.nv.blm.gov/redrockcanyon

No comments:

Post a Comment