Friday, September 12, 2014

San Francisco Peaks Scenic Road - 9/11/14

Because we had driven to the national monuments we saw today near Flagstaff via the East Entrance to the Grand Canyon National Park, we decided to use a different route to return to the campground.

As I researched things to do in the area, I found reference to the San Francisco Peaks Scenic Road which is Highway 180 north from Flagstaff to Highway 64. Great fall colors are to be seen in the fall.

This is the first scenic road we have driven that I found totally unimpressive. The leaves had not yet started to change (maybe that would make it more scenic!), although the aspen stands are always a beautiful sight. The San Francisco Mountains can be seen in the far distance.

Overall, I would say skip it and take the main roads from Flagstaff to the Grand Canyon (I-40 West to US 64 North).

Arizona has such amazing scenery in so many parts of the state, but this was not one of them for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment